Weekend Art Roundup

Ah, the end of summer. I was always that super-nerdy child who greatly anticipated the first day of school, who relished picking out two-subject notebooks each fall, and who couldn't wait to pull out the wool sweaters. This September marks the first time I am not going to be in school since 1987.
I missed that annual trip to Staples, but I'm heartened because my work inbox has been overflowing with invitations to art openings. So I may not be heading back to class, but at least my brain won't be suffering from lack of use.
Thursday, September 4
Herb White: A Taste for Art Herb White, a D.C. restaurant owner and arts patron, founded the D.C. Arts Center and often staged shows in his restaurants. Selections from White's extensive collection is on display at Pepco's Edison Place Gallery, 701 9th St., NW. Opening reception is tonight from 6-8 p.m.
Saturday, September 6
Artists Christo and Jeanne-Claude will be speaking at 3 p.m. about their work (above) at the Smithsonian American Art Museum. A screening of Running Fence, a film about their project to build a 24.5-mile fence of white fabric and steel poles through the hills of California's Sonoma and Marin Counties and into the Pacific Ocean, precedes their talk. Tickets available an hour beforehand at the G Street Lobby.
Ms. C has to get back to work, so what else is going on in the art world this weekend?
No comments:
Post a Comment