Are You "Gay Like That?"
Recently, a straight guy told my boyfriend how much he loved him for not letting his gayness define him as a person. In short, he was really excited that my boyfriend was gay, but not "gay like that." So what do you think this means? Many readers of this site would say that it signifies being proud of your sexuality, but not giving up your individuality to fit into a larger gay community. Other would say that it means you don't lisp, or gesticulate too much when you talk. But how many straight people would appreciate this distinction?
While my hetero friends might be excited to talk with me about events and ideas that fall outside of immediate gay interest, they probably can't appreciate how hard it is for a gay man to walk into Cobalt and feel no commonality with any of its other patrons. So I believe that a straight guy saying that one isn't "gay like that" means he isn't some flaming queen, not that he's retained his own personality in the face of a pervasive homosexual mainstream.
I think that straight people tend to see us gays in two distinct camps. There are the homos they are friends with: smart, articulate people with varied interests and willingness to do things outside of a gay ghetto. Then, in their opinion, there are those other fags: Fey, lisping fellows who have never held football. Stereotypes and caricatures they would want nothing to do with.
But most gay men are nothing like their stereotypes. In fact, I don't know if a cohesive gay stereotype even exists these days. Are we hypermasculine muscle queens with beards and flannels? Frail party twinks who OD in between Donna Summer remixes? Shaggy American Apparel models in matching pastel jeans? To think that there is someone out there letting their gayness define them is just as laughable as the assertion that someone else is defined by their straightness. Would anyone accuse a guy of being "too hetero" for spending all his time watching sports and going out on M Street?
There is still this opinion that gay isn't what we are, it's what we do. The assertion that my boyfriend isn't defined by being gay implies that, for most of the day, he is straight. Except on Saturday night, he puts on a special gay shirt for a couple hours to go to Nellie's. Or he's straight when he's brushing his teeth and when he's sleeping, but opens a special bottle of gay lube when have sex.
Here's the real question: If my boyfriend were some flaming queen who liked sports and indie rock, would his friend still have the same opinion of him? If he were the exact same person, but happened to have a taste for lycra and Cher, would his straight admirer still be so quick to sing his praises? All the friends I've had who think I'm not "gay like that" are very quick to pick up on my supposed "gay traits." We could spend a whole day together just being people, but the second I give them fashion advice or admit to a childhood fondness for Ramona Quimby books I can see a little lightbulb go off above their heads. One that says "aha, gay people actually are different than me."
I think that straight people should have gay friends, take it or leave it. While I spend a lot of time here critiquing gay culture, I am doing it from an insiders perspective. That is different than reducing an entire sexuality and culture into two easy poles.
Do any of you feel that your straight friends have you compartmentalized into a gay identity that you disagree with? Do you feel any pressure to act "less gay" around your straight friends?
13 comments:
OMG. Ramona Quimby rocked my world, back in the day! Actually... she kinda still does, since I'm a gaybrarian and all....
I have to say, "Frail party twinks who OD in between Donna Summer remixes" almost made me do a spit-take with my frappatini all over the monitor. Close call.
To answer your question, I *do* filter my convo topics more when around str8 friends/coworkers. I'm much less likely to comment on popular movies/TV/music, unless they do so first, so that I can gauge their interest level. I hate to admit that I'm a little shy (not my usual self) around coworkers, especially. I'm out at work, but just not that talkative except to gay coworkers. (Thank God they're there!) It is only with them that I can talk about Michael Phelps (and his long-tall-drink-of-water lusciousness, without worrying about talking out of turn.
*Sigh*
(:
Some people compartmentalize their friends in general. They tend not to understant that people can be many things.
I have a couple straight friends who do this to me and our other mutual gay friends all the time. It can be irritating to say the least.
However, I would like to support my straight friends who treat me as an individual. These folks say I just happen to be gay. They also tend to be the vast majority of my friends.
~ A Queer Hating Labels
the second I give them fashion advice or admit to a childhood fondness for Ramona Quimby books I can see a little lightbulb go off above their heads. One that says "aha, gay people actually are different than me."
I like those lightbulb moments for exactly the reason you describe. They remind our heterosexual friends that there IS more to being homosexual than just same-sex attraction, that yes, on one hand I'm just a guy who happens to be sexually attracted to the same sex, but on the other hand I have a difference experience of the world because of that simple difference.
Those moments are a way to slowly open our world to our straight friends without dumping our oppressed minority baggage in their laps all at once.
I was warned not to be be "one of those gays" by my mother. It is one of the conversations burned into my mind. As if I was going to radically change my behavior now that I was an out gay man.
I think that the straight guy liked being friends with a gay guy who he could relate to. Sometimes gay men don't feel they can relate to straight men and end up not having any straight male friends.
People who are larger than life in real life just get annoying. I know a few overly dramatic guys like that, but they are young and will probably get over it. The great normalization of gayness as part of the gay agenda just educates people to the fact that yes, there are gay people all around you and it doesn't matter. Gay couples got married in Massachusetts and it hasn't changed the world. Hetero marriages continue on everywhere.
Must... Stop... Rambling.
Yet there are gay people who feel compelled to adopt certain "gay" stereotypes when they come out, regardless of how they were beforehand. It's an interesting subject.
to comment on anonymous 2's point, when individuals come out, they tend to try gay things out including stereotypes. lessons are learned, and course corrections are made, so the individual feels good about who they are within society and their queer identity.
~ Been There Done That
Great article, Zack. I think this raises a lot of really interesting questions about sexuality and culture, both in the "gay community" and American society as a whole.
For me, acting "less gay" or "more gay" depends on the group of friends I am with. With some straight friends I hardly ever mention the guy I'm dating, the new Madonna single, or other "gay" things. Likewise, with some gay friends I hardly ever mention my fraternity, sports, or other "straight" things because they give me flak for being too straight.
Not oddly enough, my best friends are the ones that can see past the the things that I do that might be considered gay or straight, and appreciate me for me.
It's about gender not sexual orientation. Straight men aren't threatened by homosexuality; they're threatened by men who act like women. They perceive insecurity in effeminate men but confidence and maturity in masculine men.
Ironically it is precisely stereotype that is most comforting to straight people. They like their Blacks ghetto (just a little), their Asians good at math and their Gays gushing and prancing; with transparency there’s no anxiety, ambivalence or awkwardness. “The Gay” is rendered identifiable, order has been restored to the universe and everyone can relax.
Ever notice how straights who can’t figure you out get real uptight? Ever get that feeling you’re being coerced into saying “I’m Gay” to alleviate the guilt and shame of heterosexuals who can’t handle not knowing? Because, you know, they have to scrutinize you until they find out what you are…and then it’s ok…because they know now.
Anyway, I do feel some straight friends have an unspoken expectation that all “Gays” just act very “Gay” all the time. It makes an uncomfortable dynamic. They expect us all to be “Gay” because it’s ultimately easier for them. It’s too complicated for them to assimilate the concept of a sexual orientation without its imposed cultural identity. In other words they can’t grasp the idea of men attracted to men who have not embraced a (reflexively) “Gay” (i.e. cultural) identity.
On the other hand I’ve had several close straight male friends for years who do not compartmentalize me and who do not pressure me to “act” less or more Gay. Maybe that has something to do with how I define myself by my sexual orientation, not by cultural identity: I am always comfortably and avowedly homosexual but not usually comfortably “Gay”.
My impression is most intelligent, observant people are attracted to those who are comfortable with themselves. Regardless of what kind of “Gay” you are your friends will respond to you based on how comfortable you are with yourself.
Recently, a straight guy told my boyfriend how much he loved him for not letting his gayness define him as a person.
In most cases, not all, I read this as follows: Thank you for not making me uncomfortable.
It really does a great disservice to queers to be congratulated for being closer to the perceived homogenized majority. And who is to say that a Cher-loving twink isn't original or an individual? I think that dissecting homophobia is a more realistic approach to validating individuality than separating ourselves from stereotypical examples of our varied identities.
Ben43, fantastic comment. I hope you consider writing/submitting content for this site.
This is a great topic. In college my straight roommate had friends who wanted to hang out at my place because I often had gay friends over who were "gay like that." They found them entertaining. They also were disapointed with me, because I wouldn't tap dance for them in the way they expected. I've attended too many "straight" events where I've been made to feel like a token because they can't accept that a gay person can exist outside of a stereotype. It made me disconnect from straight people in most every way except in those relationships that I had to maintain (family/work).
I agree that the issue with homophobia (from other or within ourselves) has a basis in gender/misogyny, and its good to be reminded of this. However, I'm more interested in why so many of us, across culture and time, exhibit behaviors that make us "gays like that." Steven says "there IS more to being homosexual than just same-sex attraction," but outside of group socialization (assimilating gays looking for an identity/social group into a caste of feminine character behaviors evolved as a reaction to opression) or invoking a mysterious gay "spirituality," where do "gays like that" character traits come from? Is there a biological basis for "gays like that" identity?
Someone should write something about that and submit it to TNG.
Seems like Neil Patrick Harris isn't "Gay Like That" either. Perhaps that's why he's attending the Republican National Convention.
Ben, I like where you're going.
The first thing that comes to mind: Gay identity has never been formed outside of oppression; neither have stereotypes. Heterosexuals exert a great deal of pressure that we acquiesce to power. This means accepting their ideas of who we are to our own detriment. It's kind of like the court jester routine, or a minstrel show.
It's also nothing new. Ask a Black person about it, or read some bell hooks.
Writing about this would be a pleasure.
Post a Comment