Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Morning Upper: Sacred Institution of Divorce

TNG Managing Editor Corey submitted this piece.

Mornings Suck. So every morning TNG brings you a fun video to ease the pain.

I was wondering the other day about gay couples who get married when it is first made legal in their state, curious as to whether - for ever 60-year-old couple that has been together for decades - there was a couple not really ready for marriage but who wanted to do it while they had the chance.

Then I saw this video from The Colbert Report, always a reliable source of news, which said that the couple who led the marriage fight in Massachusetts is getting divorced. Ever the gentleman, Colbert did not gloat at the failure of their marriage, but rather expressed concern that gays could ruin another perfectly good institution: divorce. He also dishes on Michael Phelps and some moon god. Typical stuff.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ha! I, a Canadian, got married to an American boy living in Canada in 2005. Then he got a job in Tokyo, so I quit my full-time permanent job here in Canada so that I could commute back and forth to Japan (could only stay in Japan for 3 months at a time on tourist visa). Then when I got a call saying he wanted a divorce about two years later, I reluctantly agreed, got lawyers, and he suddenly disappeared, leaving me to deal with the whole mess (financial and otherwise). Nice. Haven't heard from him since. Because the Japanese gov't didn't recognize our marriage, there was no way that I could legally get him to shell out 50% of, at the very least, the legal fees. Over it now, Tokyo was a blast, and ex-hubby still running from Canadian legal system.