Ask A Straight Guy: The Morning Benders' Chris Chu
This post was written by TNG founder Zack.
Props to the Morning Benders for not being what I expected. Their jangle-pop sound and bratty lyrics made me think they were just another Kinks ripoff from across the pond. But when I saw them open for Ra Ra Riot this fall I got a couple nice surprises. They are really young, they are from Berkeley, Ca. (not Manchester, UK) and they weren't all snaggle-toothed white guys. They are coming back to the Black Cat this Sunday so you can experience it all for yourself. Especially if you didn't win our Cat Power ticket giveaway. I assure you this is a fine consolation prize.
Morning Benders' guitarist and lead vocalist Chris Chu (top left) agreed to answer some of my questions about being straight. Full interview and Morning Benders mixtape are below the fold.
Morning Benders play the Black Cat this Sunday, Feb. 8. $12. Doors open at 9.
The New Gay: When did you first realize you were straight?
Chris Chu: That's what the song "I Was Wrong" is about...
TNG: What is your least favorite stereotype about straight people?
CC: That we eat a lot of steak. I hate that one because we're vegetarians!
TNG: What obligations, if any, do you feel that you have to the gay community?
CC: I feel an obligation to loving everyone and yes that includes the gay community.
TNG: What are the biggest challenges faced by a straight person in today's culture?
CC: For me, personally, it's [Morning Benders bass player] Tim Or.
TNG: If you had to "go gay" for one member of the same sex, who would it be?
CC: Tim Or
TNG: Given the seemingly endless number of "indie" artist in existence today, how do you think you set yourself apart from the crowd?
CC: We aren't indie. We just try to keep it real.
TNG: Finally, why should Washington, DC come out and see you play on Sunday?
CC: I'll have to answer your question with another question: Why not?
Create a playlist at MixPod.com

No comments:
Post a Comment