Wednesday, February 18, 2009

TNG Featured Photo


"Hope Restored" by TNG's Edward Jackson

Imagine for a moment the stereotypical heterosexual, Red State male. Now, leave everything the same, but change him into a die hard Liberal, who was the co-chair of the local PFLAG chapter, had an "Impeach Bush" bumper sticker on his refrigerator, and recycles virtually everything he possibly can. That is a description of my Father-in-law, and this is a photo of the American flag he once again flies in his front yard. When I started dating my partner nearly 7 years ago, he took me to meet his parents. An unadorned, white flag pole stood conspicuously in the yard. When George W. Bush became president, my father-in-law took it down. Flying the American flag had become a symbol of support for the President, and he didn't want anyone to think he was okay with the administration's policies.

My partner and I went up for Thanksgiving last year, and the first thing I noticed was that the flag was back. It was the first time in seven years I'd seen "Old Glory" waving in all its majesty in their front yard. The flag had been restored to its rightful place the day after the 2008 presidential election. The day I took this photo, it was cold and extremely windy. But, for about 30 minutes, the wind died down, and it started snowing. I generally hate the stuff, but that day the snow covered everything in a fine, white powder. It was so quiet outside the only things I heard were the faint whisper of the breeze giggling in my ear and the flag ruffling and snapping above.

Change had come to America, and, for those of us who believe our nation can be much more than it had been the last eight years, the American flag was once again a beautiful symbol of hope and freedom.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great post - thanks for this! I live in a house with a flag out front (thanks to the landlord) and it was always a constant reminder of the empty symbols patriotism that annoy me (the likes of flag lapel pins and "we will never forget" bumper stickers). After November 4th though it was a bizarre yet welcomed feeling to see the flag outside my front door and think, "well at least we're on the right track again." I hadn't expected my patriotic cynicism to disappear so quickly.